Rowers Wanted: YHS Crew Recruiting Rowers for 2018 Season
Interested in developing amazing fitness and endurance? Want to develop key life skills like time management, accountability and responsibility? Do you like making good friends and spending time outdoors? Consider the great sport of rowing!
Winter Conditioning for YHS crew will begin on Thursday, November 16. Our athletes typically practice indoors at the school, 5 days per week, and practices will run either 3:30-5:30 or 4:30-6:30.
The spring season will commence in mid to late February, depending on weather. Once spring training begins, athletes will be bused down to the Thompson Boat Center on the Potomac River in Washington, DC. Transportation is provided in both directions. Practices occur Monday-Friday after school and Saturday mornings until the regattas begin.
Eligible athletes must live in the Yorktown High School district. We are currently recruiting 8th graders for the 2018 season, in addition to any interested High School students in the Yorktown district.
Register to join Yorktown Crew:
- Beginning in the evening of Wednesday, October 11, go to http://yorktowncrew.org/. There will be a link to the online registration under the “About” section. Fill out all forms and submit your first payment. The emergency form must be printed, completed and mailed to the registrar with a copy of your insurance card.
- Submit your physical to Yorktown H.S. – this is required for all athletes, even if they do not attend Yorktown. Athletes who have a physical on file from fall athletics are already set.
Frequently Asked Questions for New Rowers:
- What is the cost of the program? The base cost of the Yorktown Crew program is $1000 this season. There is a wreath sale fundraiser that can reduce the season cost to $740. Not included in this base cost: uniform purchase, travel to any championship races after States, and the spring break training trip.
- What days/times do you practice? In winter, the answer depends on whether you row for the men’s or women’s novice team. Both programs practice 5 days per week, but the off day is different. The winter schedule will come out in mid October, after the weight room schedule is confirmed. In spring, both men and women will practice 6 days per week. The bus to the boathouse will leave shortly after school.
- Are there cuts? Our team size is capped at 110 athletes – this is the maximum number that we can transport, coach and fit into boats. This number includes four squads: Men’s Varsity, Women’s Varsity, Men’s Novice, and Women’s Novice. If at the end of winter conditioning, we have more athletes than we can keep, we will use the first week of the spring season as a tryout. If we come into the winter with a large novice team, and cuts seem likely, we will update athletes throughout the winter as to their current status. All athletes who wish to participate are welcome through the entirety of winter conditioning.
- Can I just do winter conditioning/can I do spring without winter conditioning? Winter conditioning is open to anyone who registers – there is no commitment to rowing in the spring, though we of course would like for you to do so. Athletes are also free to do a separate winter sport. In this case, we strongly encourage such athletes to come to winter conditioning whenever their schedule permits, as the erg training has a direct bearing on your success in the spring. If there are cuts, participation in winter training is not considered as a selection factor, but athletes who are comfortable and trained on the erg will have a much better chance of hitting the time standards expected of the novice team.
- Is there practice during Spring Break? Over the week of Spring Break, the team will travel to Camp Bob Cooper in South Carolina for a period of intensive training. This week is critical for team bonding and team speed coming into the championship season, and it is very important that athletes attend if at all possible.
- When do we race? We typically race 6-7 regattas on Saturdays in the spring, starting late March/early April and running through the championship regattas at the end of May (depending on qualifications).
Contact Coach Elliott Lane Coach.email@example.com if you have additional questions.